of Farmington, Mississippi, on April 6th and 7th of 1862, the Battle
of Shiloh brought the sounds of booming guns and cannon fire. The
dead, dying, wounded and survivors of the Confederate Armies were
trekked back through Farmington on the way to Corinth. On May 3rd,
4th, and 5th, skirmishes between Union and Confederate forces were
fought at Farmington.
one was ready for the morning of May 9, 1862, when war was brought
with full force to Farmington. Forces under Union Commander Major
General John Pope and Confederate Commander Major General Earl Van
Dorn met just west of the Town of Farmington. The battle was known
as The Farmington Races. Casualties for the Union forces:
16 killed, 148 wounded, 192 missing and Confederate forces: 8 killed,
189 wounded and 110 missing.
Farmington Community will be hosting this battle October 10-13, 2013,
on the same field the original battle was fought. Come be the guest
and help us celebrate the history of the City of Farmington and step
back in time with us as we relive May 9, 1862.
the Railroads in other areas built up the towns, the Railroad sounded
the decline of the once prosperous Town of Farmington. In 1855, the
Mobile and Ohio, and the Memphis and Charleston, crossed some four
miles west of the town. Rails being the chief transportation of this
era, much of the prosperity soon began to re-locate in the vicinity
of the rail crossing. Soon the 'Pride of Northern Tishimingo County'
began to wane, many of its merchants and shops moving into Crosstown.
Later this town was renamed Corinth, which soon became the center
of trade for the area. The settlers spiritual ties were still anchored
firmly to the Baptist Church at Farmington - the church continued
enjoying a measure of success in the Master's work. Here in 1853 a
famous son of the area was to be ordained to the Gospel Ministry -
Mark Perrin Lowrey, Civil War hero and founder of Blue Mountain College
in later years. The Church was affiliated with the old Chickasaw Baptist
Association for many years and on September 14-17, 1855, entertained
the 17th anniversary of that large body of Baptists.
the growth of Corinth, the Masonic Lodges at Farmington and Danville
consolidated in 1857 and formed Corinth Lodge No. 116, F. & A.M.,
taking the number of the former Farmington Lodge. The clouds of war
hung heavy over the land, and the few slaves held by the citizens
of Farmington continued their work and worship with their masters.
Soon war with its fury burst forth over the land, the representatives
of Old Tishomingo County split their votes concerning seccession,
but yielded to the will of the majority vote of Mississippi, and thus
became the second state to join the Confederacy. Residents of the
area joined more than 80,000 Mississippi troops serving the Confederate
Army. Far to the north of Farmington in rapid succession the Battles
of Fort Henry, and Fort Donelson set the stage for Shiloh. On April
6 and 7, 1862, the booming guns of that battlefield duels could be
heard in Mississippi. The dead, dying and wounded, along with the
survivors of the Confederate Armies were brought and trekked back
through Farmington, toward Corinth, where another stand was intended.
On May 3, 1862, a skirmish between forces of the Union and Confederates
was at Farmington; also on May 4, and May 8, other skirmishes were
May 9 brought full battle to Farmington. The Union forces led by Maj.
Gen. John Pope and the Confederate forces led by Maj. Gen. Earl Van
Dorn were ready for battle. One account of the battle relates/On the
8th of May, General Pope, commanding the advance of the Federal Army,
moved with two full Brigades and occupied Farmington. Gen. Beauregard
to accept the guage of battle thus thrown down to him, and at once
moved out to the attack. Generals Bragg and Hardee were to attack
the right and center while General Van Dorn attacked the left and
General Price moved out with his force to within an easy march of
the rear of Pope's command without molestation or even the knowledge
of the enemy. Early on the morning of the 9th, the signal guns were
fired and the whole army began to advance. General Hardee attacked
the enemy with such spirit as drove him at once from his line of works,
and the Missourians coming in contact with one of those Mississippi
swamps that is almost impassable, the enemy made safe his retreat
before his rear could be reached. But he left his Headquarters tent,
telegraph operator and office, with all his dead and wounded in the
hands of Confederate General Halleck. Although more than double the
force of the Confederates, Pope absolutely refused to come out into
the open ground and give battle. General Beauregard withdrew his forces
inside the fortifications around Corinth. The battle was familiarly
known as 'The Farmington Races'.
The battle of Farmington left as casualties for the Union - 16 killed,
148 wounded, and 192 missing. For the Confederates - 8 killed, 189
wounded, and 110 missing. On May 10, 12, 19 and 22 additional skirmishes
were fought in or near Farmington.
the actual battlefields moved away from Farmington the area was used
primarily as a hospital zone for the wounded Union forces from this
and other battles. The blood of many brave men stained the ground
around hills where once stood the town.